Submitted by Joao Ventura
In this session, I will describe my experiences in updating a Drupal module from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 (the adsense module). The session will describe the lessons learned in this process, including the removal of the previous "sub-module as plugins" system, and it's replacement with a true plugin system based on the infrastructure provided by Drupal 8. It will also advocate for a thorough removal of the .module file as much as possible. Some tools helpful for module development will also be addressed including:
- Composer - to manage external dependencies.
- Drupal Module Upgrader - for automatic update of code from D7 to D8.
- Coder - static checks for coding standards.
Main points to discuss on the subject of module development for Drupal 8:
- module.info.yml and the other YAML files
- Object Oriented Programming
- PHP's PSR-4 and the module file structure
- PHP Annotations
- The Drupal 8 plugin system
- Twig templates
- Page controllers and the routing system
- Log in to post comments